The following works on an HP Proliant Microserver N40L – make sre the HP is connected to the same network as your Windows machine with the HP preferably connected by a network cable
1. Backup all you data
2. Have a 1GB USB thumb drive ready and format it to FAT32
4. Install Win32DiskImager on a Windows machine
5. Plug the USB drive to the Windows machine
6. Run Win32DiskImager and select the ISO image you downloaded in step 3
7. Select the drive letter of the USB drive
8. Click Write
9. Remove USB drive from Windows machine and plug it into one of the USB ports of the HP
10. Boot up the HP. Go into the BIOS by pressing F10 and set the machine to start the boot from the USB
11. Once prompted, select the Install/Upgrade option
12. Select the Install/Upgrade option again
13. When you see DiskStation Login: ignore any Execution errors and go to your Windows machine, open a browser and point it to: http://find.synology.com/#
14. Once your DiskStation is detected, note the IP address and click the > button
15. Select Manual Install and browse for the DSM file you downloaded in step 3
16. Create a username and password (remember both of these)
17. Click Install Now. The warning will say it will erase all data on the installed drives. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!
18. Wait for the installation to complete. And reboot. When rebooting, boot from the USB you created earlier but this time select the option without the Install/Upgrade.
19. To install an update go to: Control Panel > Update and Restore > Manual DSM Update and click Browse
20. Select the Update file you downloaded earlier and click OK. DO NOT CLICK YES YET.
21. Open an SSH Terminal (eg: putty) and connect to the DiskStation as root. The password for root is the same as the password you specified in step 16.
22. Issue the following commands:
DiskStation> sed ‘s/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/’ /firstname.lastname@example.org > /email@example.com
DiskStation> mv /firstname.lastname@example.org /email@example.com
23. Now click YES from step 20.
24. The machine will reboot again and repeat step 18.